Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)"

wpheaton

Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)" Empty Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)"

Post by wpheaton Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:20 pm

Here are some pics of my Grandfather's WWII uniform.  It was given to me by my father.  

Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)" P6070213

Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)" P6070214

Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)" P6070215

Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)" P6070216

Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)" P6070217

Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)" P6070317

Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)" P6070318

Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)" P6070218
    RCN Sailor
    RCN Sailor

Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)" Empty Re: Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)"

Post by RCN Sailor Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:06 pm

Very nice family heirloom.

Ed
    Bill
    Bill

Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)" Empty Re: Grandfather's WWII Canadian Uniform "The Essex Regiment (Tank)"

Post by Bill Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:41 am

Did your grandfather serve with both the Essex Regiment (Tank) and the Essex Scottish?
    wpheaton

Post by wpheaton Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:28 am

Bill wrote:Did your grandfather serve with both the Essex Regiment (Tank) and the Essex Scottish?

I do not know and my father is gone also so I can't ask. All I know is what I was given. I know he was in the Essex Regiment Tank as my father told me he was a tank instructor. Is the Essex Scottish something different than the Essex Regiment?

Thanks for your response.

William
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:39 am

Hi William, To address your question, yes the Essex Regiment (Tank) is a different regiment from the Essex Scottish Regiment. The uniform in your image has a glengarry with the Essex Tank badge, which was not worn in that manner. The Essex (Tank) wore a black beret, or may have wore the wedge early in the war before enough berets were available. The uniform you show is to the Essex Scottish, and has corporals stripes, Assitant Instructor qualification badge, and service chevrons (the red and white stripes). The glengarry in your image was worn by Scottish regiments and should have an Essex Scottish badge. Perhaps somewhere along the line the Essex Tank badge was put on the glen?
    wpheaton

Post by wpheaton Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:00 am

Bill wrote:Hi William, To address your question, yes the Essex Regiment (Tank) is a different regiment from the Essex Scottish Regiment. The uniform in your image has a glengarry with the Essex Tank badge, which was not worn in that manner. The Essex (Tank) wore a black beret, or may have wore the wedge early in the war before enough berets were available. The uniform you show is to the Essex Scottish, and has corporals stripes, Assistant Instructor qualification badge, and service chevrons (the red and white stripes). The glengarry in your image was worn by Scottish regiments and should have an Essex Scottish badge. Perhaps somewhere along the line the Essex Tank badge was put on the glen?

That is very interesting. All I know is that my father gave me the uniform and hats and said they were my grandfathers. I know he was in the Essex Regiment Tank. My father told me he was a tank instructor. My father is dead now so all that history goes with him. What a shame.

Thank You,

William
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:06 am

wpheaton wrote:
    Bill wrote:Hi William, To address your question, yes the Essex Regiment (Tank) is a different regiment from the Essex Scottish Regiment. The uniform in your image has a glengarry with the Essex Tank badge, which was not worn in that manner. The Essex (Tank) wore a black beret, or may have wore the wedge early in the war before enough berets were available. The uniform you show is to the Essex Scottish, and has corporals stripes, Assistant Instructor qualification badge, and service chevrons (the red and white stripes). The glengarry in your image was worn by Scottish regiments and should have an Essex Scottish badge. Perhaps somewhere along the line the Essex Tank badge was put on the glen?

That is very interesting.  All I know is that my father gave me the uniform and hats and said they were my grandfathers.  I know he was in the Essex Regiment Tank.  My father told me he was a tank instructor.  My father is dead now so all that history goes with him.  What a shame.  

Thank You,

William

Your Grandfathers service history is not lost. All you have to do is request his service file from Library and Archives Canada. That will tell you everything you want to know about your Grandfathers service and also shed some light on this situation.

wpheaton

Post by wpheaton Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:13 am

jholl72 wrote:
    wpheaton wrote:

That is very interesting.  All I know is that my father gave me the uniform and hats and said they were my grandfathers.  I know he was in the Essex Regiment Tank.  My father told me he was a tank instructor.  My father is dead now so all that history goes with him.  What a shame.  

Thank You,

William

Your Grandfathers service history is not lost. All you have to do is request his service file from Library and Archives Canada. That will tell you everything you want to know about your Grandfathers service and also shed some light on this situation.

Great idea Jeff, Thank you. I will look into that.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:24 am

When you follow up on Jeff's suggestion, you may find that he served in both units. They were both from Windsor and area.
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:36 am

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/obj/022/f2/022-909.007-e.pdf
    Heres the link to the form you need to fill out and send in.

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:52 am

Jeff, you have learned well my friend.

I do wish I had suck items from my families military history. Very nice.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:21 am

I had a good teacher Cliff! The only snag this time is LAC has redone or is redoing the website so it takes a while to find the proper form.

Bill

Post by Bill Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:32 am

And that snag is a major one. They have renamed and moved just about all the references frequently used. It took me about an hour to find the First World War soldier data base, and even longer to find the re-named Faces of War image data base.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:57 pm