Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

Hugh Carson sling.

Johnnyroad

Hugh Carson sling. Empty Hugh Carson sling.

Post by Johnnyroad Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Does anyone recognize this Hugh Carson leather sling? It's installed on a sporting model of Mk 1 Lee Enfield carbine, dated 1898. This carbine is Enfield made, not BSA, though it generally follows the Lee Speed BSA line of sporting rifles. The sling is leather, with a C broad arrow, but no model number or date. It's 49 inches long, 1 inch wide and has a brass buckle on one end and a brass stud to secure the loop on the other.

I have no information about the history of either the rifle or the sling, which looks civilian, though it was clearly military at one time. I do know that Carson's were a luggage company established in Ottawa and made leather items for the military but can't find any photos on-line of a model matching this design. Any information, or pointers to further research avenues would be much appreciated.

Hugh Carson sling. Img_2811
    Hugh Carson sling. Img_2810
    Hugh Carson sling. Img_2812
    edstorey
    edstorey

Hugh Carson sling. Empty Sling

Post by edstorey Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:51 am

Like your rifle, the sling has also been sporterized.
    Johnnyroad

Hugh Carson sling. Empty Re: Hugh Carson sling.

Post by Johnnyroad Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:36 pm

You may be right ... but sporterized from what? I haven't been able to find references or photographs, in books or on-line, showing anything even remotely like this. It seems to have its origins in something other than a rifle sling.
    edstorey
    edstorey

Hugh Carson sling. Empty Rifle Sling

Post by edstorey Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Covered from a Hugh Carson leather rifle sling.

Hugh Carson sling. Img_6111
    Johnnyroad

Post by Johnnyroad Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:02 pm

No, those leather Lee Enfield slings are completely different and are too short and too wide; the Carson sling (or strap, or whatever) is only an inch wide, is 49 inches long, has a brass buckle and associated series of holes for same and a brass stud with associated slit and hole at the other end.

In some ways it looks like part of the Oliver equipment, at least insofar as the buckle arrangement and the attaching hooks are concerned. I should have photographed those as they're very similar to the front hooks on the Oliver cross straps. But the strap is much too long for anything shown in illustrations of the Oliver harness. And from what I can gather those straps were only 3/4 of an inch wide.

Well anyway, I thank you for taking the time to respond. The conversion to the carbine was done professionally, using the BSA Lee Speed woodwork and I'll try to pursue information on who might have done it on the Lee Enfield forum. That may in turn give a lead to the history of the "sling".
    edstorey
    edstorey

Hugh Carson sling. Empty Rifle Sling Data

Post by edstorey Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:18 am

Standard rifle slings, either leather or web, were 1.25 inches wide and 46 inches long.   The length may vary slightly but these measurements were adhered to especially as rifle sling swivels were designed for 1.25 inch wide slings.   Your mystery sling falls within the measurement parameters so I fail to see why you are so adamant that what you have is not a modification of a regular leather sling.   What is required are some good images of the key detail points and accurate measurements of your sling for right now this is turning into a frustrating game of 'stump the chump'.

Enough time wasted, I won't be responding again.
    Johnnyroad

Post by Johnnyroad Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:12 am

Well pictures can always be better but these are good enough to see the fundamental differences between this one and the Enfield slings, of which I have several, including originals. As for wasting your time, get a grip on yourself; I didn't ask for your ill tempered input. That's your decision to make entirely. That kind of rude, arrogant response is one of the reasons these forums peter out and fail.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:15 pm