Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+15
pylon1357
barriefield-brian
bubberstone
airborne666
Fortes97
ddaydodger
servicepub
qsamike
Wouter
sarge5020
Darrell
Infanteer
Battalion Colours
Michael Reintjes
Bill
19 posters

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 2 Empty Re: A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

Post by pylon1357 Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:09 am

Of course you guys are correct. I have been doing my best to photograph all the patches I see in use. I was pretty proud of the collection of photos I had managed.

Unfortunately, being the lazy bugger I am, I lost most of them when I lost my camera. I am not the most diligent person when it comes to downloading photos from my camera. I usually only do so every couple of weeks or more (if that).

I lost my new camera in a Bison about 2 months ago, I am back to my old one now. Many of the photos of patches that I took were not downloaded to my laptop and many are lost forever, as the Roto 8 guys ripped out a long time ago.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 2 Empty Re: A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

Post by Battalion Colours Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:50 am

pylon1357 wrote:Of course you guys are correct. I have been doing my best to photograph all the patches I see in use. I was pretty proud of the collection of photos I had managed.

Unfortunately, being the lazy bugger I am, I lost most of them when I lost my camera. I am not the most diligent person when it comes to downloading photos from my camera. I usually only do so every couple of weeks or more (if that).

I lost my new camera in a Bison about 2 months ago, I am back to my old one now. Many of the photos of patches that I took were not downloaded to my laptop and many are lost forever, as the Roto 8 guys ripped out a long time ago.

Cliff:

Don't sweat the small stuff. Your main job is not to take photographs and record information for collectors. Do what you can, when you can. Any information you provide is greatly appreciated. Charlie Mike (aka Continue Mission).
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:44 am

the latest patch just acquired is this locally produced patch from the Roto 9/10 Air Wing. The tours these guys do are a little different in duration from the ground forces, their tours are 9 months as opposed to 6.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:56 am

Another resent badge I had been chasing for a while. This one, I do not believe to be a locally produced badge. Worn by The Headquarters personnel of the Regional Command South. This patch is worn by many nations within the RC South headquarters, not strictly a Canadian patch.

Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:52 am

Cliff:

Great patch! Have you met anyone who actually designed one of these patches? I wonder what their inspiration is?
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:18 pm

Just got another OMLT patch today. This one has no frayed borders like the one I posted previously. New one is on the left. Both have velcro backing.

Another pic of the OMLT patch in wear.

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:43 pm

Cool to see the OMLT patch has basically not changed since first designed by a friend of mine a few years ago. He is a PPCLI officer and gifted me one of the original patches and one of the "theater" made patches. In fact, I sewed all of the velcro to the back of many of the original patches before the tour when the patch was designed.

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:31 am

two new patches just came my way. The first is a locally produced 1RCR Battle Group patch. I got this one from a friend in Accommodations. The last of the RCR BG left KAF last week. There is a small number of RCR here now but they are not Battle Group, they are about Platoon size I understand, however, I have yet to see any of them.

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:38 am

This is the second patch I got. I got this one from a PMED tech who was waiting patently for the lads to finish touching up a Leopard 2 that was returning to Germany for a refit.

We got to talking and I mentioned was a badge collector. He showed me the patch on his tunic (see photo 2 and 3) and then told me would see about grabbing one for me. The following day, he showed up in my compound with patch in hand. Unfortunately, I was not there in the yard at the time he dropped it off.

I would have liked to have a photo of him wearing his tunic, but since he was wearing a white lightweight overall suit to spray the Leopard, I felt I would asking too much.

Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Great patches Cliff! ! ! It's nice to see photographs of them actually on uniforms.

"Honneur et Fidélité"

Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:17 am

This morning the following photographs were posted on the US Militaria Forum by TranCorps. If you look closely, you will see Afghan made insignia for American, British and Canadian units.

"Kandahar, Afghanistan Airfield Patch shop today..., Afghan theater made patches"

"Honneur et Fidélité"

Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Here's another photograph from TranCorps:

"And a final photo, this one of the guideon and large patch wall."

"Honneur et Fidélité"

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:00 am

I thought I commented on these before but I guess not... Yes those photos are of the embroidery shop here at KAF, it's located on the boardwalk. I am not great with directions on this bloody camp but I do believe its the north side of the boardwalk. If there is any interest, I will try to remember to take a photo of the outside of the shop.

The patches sold there are the theatre produced badges. The people operating the shop are, I beielve, Kirghistan? The patches there run anywhere from $10.00 to $20.00 each, with the average being about $13.00 to $17.00. This can get quite costly for an undocumented patch. Myselk, I prefer to get the patches from the unit holders as they cost me $5.00 at best, usually I pay nothing for them. I think that's a great price.

I was looking through some images on the "L" drive and came across this one of the two versions of the EME patch for Roto 9. Hope you enjoy.

mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:13 am

Hey Cliff! Hope you are doing well there. If you could pick me up one of those un-f'n kit patches I will pay you dearly for it. If not, no problem.

Bill

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 2 Empty Also interested...

Post by Bill Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:27 am

I am also interested in any extras you get Cliff.
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:06 am

Politically incorrect patches have always been very popular.

Great Roto 9 patches Cliff!

"Honneur et Fidélité"

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:08 pm

A little backwards here on this one. I just acquired a patch like this as I was leaving KAF on HLTA. A photo of my example to follow in a day or so.

mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:46 pm

Great patches Cliff! Keep em coming.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:25 pm

Hey Cliff! If you see any SF guys over there check out if they wear any morale patches...I'm hearing stories about them wearing the WWII era USA/Canada FSSF arrowhead patch. That would be worth a photo if you could sneak up on them. Shocked

Darrell

Post by Darrell Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi

Here's one we couldn't wear. :lol:

We were 1 Cdn AF Capt, 1 Armd WO, 1 Inf Sgt, a LOG MCpl, 2 Weatherman AF Cpls, and 2 Reserve Cpls at the Jingle gate. We shared only the fact that we didn't work for Cdns is KAF. Each had their own thing going on with US, UK or Dutch Commands. Therefore, logically, the Cdns "grouped" us for Admin purposes as a Platoon of 8 but completely ignored us.

The Capt gave us the patches as a parting gift. :yessir:

regards
    Darrell
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:53 am

In ten or so years, a bunch of guys are going to drive themselves nuts trying to put together a definative reference book on Task Force Afghanistan patches. Trueth is, anyone can walk into the patch shop on the board walk and have a patch made up. There are patches walking around that may never see the light of day after the guy comes home. We must have had over a dozen patches being worn at the PRT during my tour. In CIMIC company there must have been 6 at least as every call-sign/CIMIC Team (2 operators each)made their own, as well, the drivers had their own. The platoons from the protection company from the RCR had their patches as did the maintenance guys. When I can figure out how to crop the scan I did of the patch we had in Spin Boldak, I'll post it.

Cheers
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:33 am

Already a pain. There is little official information, and most of the patches are unauthorized, meaning no document trail. The patches are highly prized by the wearers, and are not seen after the deployment. There are a few of us already working on documentation and accumulation, but as you say, it is going to be a challenge.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:43 am

I have tried to photograph the different patches I have seen in KAF but it is a very difficult task given the number of different patches. That coupled with a camera failure and a hard drive melt down, have left me with rather poor results at the moment. Lets face it, I lost the Roto 5 through 7 patch photos plus a few from the early part of Roto 8. These I can never get back.

sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:50 pm

If I get it right, here's a pic of the patch we had in Spin Boldak. The SRA stands for "Spinboldak Republican Army".
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:16 pm

Good stuff. Who wore it, when? Thanks sarge.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:48 pm