Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+15
pylon1357
barriefield-brian
bubberstone
airborne666
Fortes97
ddaydodger
servicepub
qsamike
Wouter
sarge5020
Darrell
Infanteer
Battalion Colours
Michael Reintjes
Bill
19 posters

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

sarge5020
    sarge5020

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 10 Empty Re: A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

Post by sarge5020 Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:56 am

Yes indeed. White, black, grey, tan and green Velcro with tan green black and white thread. Maybe they used whatever was at hand.

Cheers,
    John
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 10 Empty Re: A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

Post by mk1rceme Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:08 pm

What is the story on the patches with segments of velcro stitched together?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:51 pm

Segmented velcro like this is quite commonly found on many of the badges from the boardwalk embroidery shop. I have a few examples kicking about. I can only assume they used every scrap available to them to maintain profits. I also suspect that at times, it may have been somewhat difficult to get resupply of velcro.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Pretty common to see it done that way. 1 and 2 inch wide velcro are the most commonly available widths and if you need to cover a 3 inch diameter patch then you need to use multiple pieces of velcro.
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:27 am

Here's another one. This patch was worn by the CIMIC team in Maywan District in Kandahar during Roto 6 in 2008-09.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:32 am

Repro patches being offered on ebay. This vendor has been making copy patches for several years of dubious quality. Some are good enough to pass, but others should fool no one. (These links will be useless in a few days, so if interested, keep a copy for reference.)
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-Royal-Canadian-Air-Force-RCAF-TFK-Afghanistan-Heron-UAV-Roto-7-VELCRO-/360690318841
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-Army-Afghanistan-Royal-22nd-Regiment-VANDOOS-ROTO-10-Kandahar-VELCRO-/310698193104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48570e30d0
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-Canadian-Army-Afghanistan-International-Security-Assistance-Force-VELCRO-/310697862326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48570924b6
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-Army-Afghanistan-Royal-22nd-Regiment-VANDOOS-ROTO-10-Kandahar-VELCRO-/360690317489?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fad178b1
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:28 pm

Bill wrote:Repro patches being offered on ebay. This vendor has been making copy patches for several years of dubious quality. Some are good enough to pass, but others should fool no one. (These links will be useless in a few days, so if interested, keep a copy for reference.)
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-Royal-Canadian-Air-Force-RCAF-TFK-Afghanistan-Heron-UAV-Roto-7-VELCRO-/360690318841
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-Army-Afghanistan-Royal-22nd-Regiment-VANDOOS-ROTO-10-Kandahar-VELCRO-/310698193104?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48570e30d0
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-Canadian-Army-Afghanistan-International-Security-Assistance-Force-VELCRO-/310697862326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48570924b6
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canada-Army-Afghanistan-Royal-22nd-Regiment-VANDOOS-ROTO-10-Kandahar-VELCRO-/360690317489?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fad178b1

And at least one of his offerings is 'too neat' to be an original. The patch I am referring to is the TLAV Survivability TAV patch. I worked with that TAV team. I know the patch well and I worked the fellow who designed it.

qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:36 am

Good Evening Everyone......

Here are a couple of patches found while garage saleing and a couple of flea markets around Holland the last couple of days....

Mike

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 10 Empty MTTF HQ and SIgs Squadron patch in wear

Post by pylon1357 Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:43 am

Well I am not sure if I posted this before. I looked and couldn't find it. I took this photo on at the medals parade when my son got his GSM.

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 10 Empty 3 different TFK patches

Post by pylon1357 Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:40 pm

Quite some time ago I mentioned there were 3 different variants of this TFK patch. Well I finally found all my patches, and have started to re-photograph them. I do hope this helps someone at some point.

The patch on the left is a Canadian produced TFK patch. I say Canadian produced, which may not be quite accurate, I should say it was the variant that clothing stores was ordering through normal channels.

The middle one is a locally produced patch (read Boardwalk). As Clothing stores stocks were depleted, these were the ones being issued. As well I recall some soldiers purchasing these from the Boardwalk embroidery shop and submitting the receipt for reimbursement.

The patch on the right is a patch produced for sale through the Canex. The last one was available at either the SeaCan on the boardwalk, or the Canex at New Canada House. It is a keepsake as opposed to an issued worn patch.

This second photo shows the reverse of each patch, as above.

The left Patch is the Canadian variant, notable is the clean sewing and cutting of the velcro backing, which is the typical black colour.

The middle patch is the Boardwalk variant, with its telltale freehand sewing and cutting of the velcro. Also noted colour of the velcro.

The patch on the right has no velcro on the reverse as it was not intended to be worn on the uniform.

Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Hi Cliff, I also have a TFK patch with the coat of arms in silver mylar embroidery.

Last edited by Bill on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Bill wrote:Hi Cliff, I also have a TFK patch with the coat of arms in silver wire embroidery.
    Bill Please post it as I do not think I have ever seen one like that.

Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Hi Cliff, The right hand patch is embroidered with mylar, which is reflective like bullion. I think it is the same as the one on the left of your image.

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:35 am

Just reminiscing and came across his photo of the MTTF Sigs patch in use in KAF.

I took this photo on the day my son was awarded his GSM.

Tankermike
    Tankermike

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 10 Empty Can someone identify this patch

Post by Tankermike Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:39 pm

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:09 am

Well, I am likely way off base here, but I suspect the names Costello, Anbel, Clowes, Anjani, and Umbach may be the names of the personnel.

The rest of it would likely be as follows; Land Command Support Systems- International Security Assistance Force Technical Assistance Visit.

In other words, a souvenir patch made up in theater for those 5 members of the TAV. As for the year, not a clue.

Tankermike
    Tankermike

Post by Tankermike Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Interesting, so a couple of Canucks, a Yank and a Brit made their own patch.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:11 pm

Neat! And probably only five in existence.

edstorey

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 10 Empty Badge

Post by edstorey Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:19 pm

If those are last names on the badge, none of them correspond to a Canadian being on a TAV. I don't think the flags represent the names on the badge.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:55 pm

There were definitely more than five around. Several showed up on ebay.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:12 pm

My guess (only that) is that the names are FOB's/camps and not individuals. Many FOB's/camps were named after fallen soldiers. Just a thought.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:30 pm

That is a possibility as well Steve, although none of those names ring a bell with me. We were sending stuff out all over the place and I do not recall any place with those names. Certainly Canadian....another thought I had was maybe these were civilians. The ones that were out of DND construction and logistics, or whatever they were.

Also just a thought too, Bill said there were lots of these available on EBay a while back, possible fantasy piece?

Mike, any chance of a phoyo of the reverse ans close up of the edge stitching.

edstorey
    edstorey

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 10 Empty Decyphering Afghanistan Theatre Badges

Post by edstorey Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:34 am

Steve made a very good point and one that collectors need to be cognisant of when analyzing a badge, especially the Afghanistan theatre patches, is that you first have to be knowledgeable of what all the terms and acronyms stand for. In this case I believe that LCSS was the Land Command Support System which could be a good clue to deciphering the rest of the badge.

Taking the design of the badge at face value and assuming that the 'names' are of people and the flags somehow represent the nations where the 'people' came from is most likely erroneous and could lead to false assumptions that only five badges were ever made.

As Steve suggested, the names could be for FOBs and I am suggesting even communications NODE names.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:07 am

Yes Ed, in terms of ISAF, LCSS stands for Land Command Support System or Systems. Thankfully, my memory has not failed me yet in regards to all those flipping acronyms I used in KAF.

Tankermike
    Tankermike

Post by Tankermike Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:29 am

I dont have the patch.

A quick google search,

Meaning of "Ajani"
    Afghan name
    In Afghan, the name Ajani means- he who wins the struggle. Other origins for the name Ajani include - Afghan, African.The name Ajani is most often used as a boy name or male name.

Its also a name of a school in Samangan Province.

Jens Umbach wrote a book about the German Army in Afganisatn.

Another mystery patch I guess.

Mike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:08 am