Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

BOER WAR TRIBUTE - CITY OF OTTAWA

qsamike
    qsamike

BOER WAR TRIBUTE - CITY OF OTTAWA Empty BOER WAR TRIBUTE - CITY OF OTTAWA

Post by qsamike Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:38 pm

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen

Please find attached photos of a Locket given to returning troops from South Africa to those who were from the City of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Only one known to be in existance. (Note: If any collector has another please let me know.)

Oval in shape, 2 ¾ Inches long from top of ring to bottom and 1 ¼ Inches wide.

Face: Red / White / Blue Enamel Oval with Union Flag in Center surrounded by oval reading, "For Duty to Queen and Empire", eight Maple Leafs around bottom and a Beaver on top.

Reverse: A sleeved arm holding an Axe with the motto "Advance" (I think this is part of the City of Ottawa's crest", engraved below, "From Citizens of Ottawa to H.V. MacDougall for Services in South Africa."

314 / 669 Private H. V. (Harold Vladimir) MacDougall, 1st and 2nd Canadian Mounted Rifles. - Medal with Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill and South Africa 1902.

Enlisted as L/Corporal but reverted to Private.

Medal roll states Macleod N.W.T. but I have found that he was just working there his original address was Ottawa Ontario. His father was the Hon. Wm. MacDougall C.B., a Government Cabinet Minister.

Enlisted in WW1 August 29th, 1914 at the age of 40.

46520 Private H. V. MacDougall, 13th Battalion C.E.F.

Died - May 31st, 1915

Buried Guards Cemetery, Windy Corner, Cuinchy

Medals Location Unknown......

BOER WAR TRIBUTE - CITY OF OTTAWA Ottawa10

BOER WAR TRIBUTE - CITY OF OTTAWA Ottawa11

Mike
    Anonymous

BOER WAR TRIBUTE - CITY OF OTTAWA Empty Re: BOER WAR TRIBUTE - CITY OF OTTAWA

Post by Guest Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:52 pm

algardner
    algardner

BOER WAR TRIBUTE - CITY OF OTTAWA Empty yes a friend has one

Post by algardner Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:31 pm

the one that my friend has was presented to lt col g.w. cameron who as far as i can tell died in 1907 in winnipeg son of john archibald cameron. as well my friends differs slightly it is stamped 14k next to the 1900 on the back please let me know if you have found anymore.
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:19 pm

No this one is and now yours are the only ones that I know of......  

Mike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 pm