Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+2
qsamike
37patt
6 posters

RCAF Squadron patches

Goldenhawk
    Goldenhawk

RCAF Squadron patches Empty RCAF Squadron patches

Post by Goldenhawk Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Here are some more examples of what I collect. These patches were worn on the flight suit and/or jacket of the pilot (aircrew) who flew the jets from the post-war RCAF era. They were of high quality and normally constructed of multi-layers of felt or high quality cotton material. Many of these patches were made by Crest Craft of Saskatoon. Others were made in-theatre in France/Germany, etc. Unlike today where most patches have velcro attached, these patches were sewn directly on to the flight suits.

As a historian I also like to show the patches being worn in the period. I have therefore created a two-part image which, on the left depicts the patch in my collection while on the right, shows the patch in actual wear.

Here is the first one; a CF104 Qualification patch normally worn on the right breast pocket. Sometimes you see this one sewn on to the arm but only in rare circumstances due to the large 5 inch diameter size. This patch came into being in 1965 with the change of the Canadian flag. The earlier version of this patch (which I will show later) was made in blue, yellow and green.

Here is CF104 pilot F/L Chet Randall.

RCAF Squadron patches Collag10
    Goldenhawk
    Goldenhawk

RCAF Squadron patches Empty Re: RCAF Squadron patches

Post by Goldenhawk Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:56 pm

Here is the earlier version of this patch, worn from about 1963 to 1965. Here is CF104 pilot F/L "Gin" Smith of 434 (Bluenose) Squadron.

RCAF Squadron patches Collag11
    Goldenhawk
    Goldenhawk

Post by Goldenhawk Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Here is CF100 pilot S/L Stan Nichols of 440 (Bat) Squadron.

RCAF Squadron patches Collag12
    Goldenhawk
    Goldenhawk

Post by Goldenhawk Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:06 pm

From an RCAF Flight Safety magazine.

On the night of 28 July 1965, Flight Lieutenant Barnes was Captain of a CF-104 dual aircraft which experienced a serious in-flight engine malfunction near the city of Munich. At a height of 500 feet, the engine nozzle area went to the full open position because of material failure which resulted in a drastic reduction of engine power. Flight Lieutenant Barnes immediately instituted the authorized emergency procedure to release the nozzle, but to no avail. He was now in the unenviable position of having to decide whether to remain with the aircraft which lacked sufficient power to maintain height, or to abandon the aircraft which almost certainly would have crashed into the city of Munich. Electing to remain with the aircraft, Flight Lieutenant Barnes ordered the second pilot to radio the international distress call. A radar control agency replied giving directions to a suitable aerodrome but to comply would have placed the aircraft over the centre of Munich. Electing to ignore these instructions, Flight Lieutenant Barnes continues his heading away from the centre of Munich when he received directions from another radar agency for an alternative aerodrome. Accepting these instructions he commenced an approach to Furstenfeldbruck aerodrome. This aerodrome, close to Munich, had no approach lighting and the runway lights were dimmed because of emergency power operation. Notwithstanding these difficulties he was able to complete the approach and safely land the aircraft. This act of cool courage in a critical situation averted what cold have been an catastrophe involving considerable loss of life.

Here is CF104 pilot F/L Bill Barnes wearing his 444 (Cobra) Squadron patch. This patch actually pre-dates the CF104 and was primarily used in the F-86 Sabre period.

RCAF Squadron patches Collag13
    37patt
    37patt

Post by 37patt Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:47 pm

I may not collect air force stuff but those are really cool to see. I particularly like the photos showing the patch in use.
    In my mind it's a form of provenance for the item, as collectors of the Afghanistan mission know, it can be very difficult to find photographic evidence of theatre use for many of the unit badges that were made up over the years.
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:07 pm

It is to bad that you did not join about 8 months ago.....   Did an estate evaluation for sale of an original member and at one time CO of the Goldenhawks......   Boxes full of programs, photos, patches, trophies, uniforms, books and the best was a model of a GH Saber with a wingspan of 7 feet that showed up in the Stampede Parade occasionally and a lot lot more......  The family kept One Uniform, One Flight Suit and his medals.......  

I am sure that there would have been something there that you would have liked.....

Mike
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:10 pm

Found a picture from the sale.......

Mounted on wood......

Mike

RCAF Squadron patches P1030011
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:34 pm

Those are amazing patches. I will be keeping my eyes open for them now that I have seen them and know more about them.
    Goldenhawk
    Goldenhawk

Post by Goldenhawk Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:23 pm

qsamike wrote:It is to bad that you did not join about 8 months ago.....   Did an estate evaluation for sale of an original member and at one time CO of the Goldenhawks......   Boxes full of programs, photos, patches, trophies, uniforms, books and the best was a model of a GH Saber with a wingspan of 7 feet that showed up in the Stampede Parade occasionally and a lot lot more......  The family kept One Uniform, One Flight Suit and his medals.......  

I am sure that there would have been something there that you would have liked.....

Mike

Mike,

Yes, I certainly do wish that I had joined and gotten to know you back then. Sounds like a great grouping of GH items. As you can see by my username and avatar, the "Hawks" are one of my favourite subjects. I remember seeing them back in 1962 and '63 at airshows at RCAF Stn Borden...those golden jets against an azure blue sky...wow!

Are there any of those items that you evaluated still around for sale? May I ask who it was; W/C Easton, Allen or Hatton?

Thanks,
    Darryl
    barriefield-brian
    barriefield-brian

Post by barriefield-brian Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:21 pm

Would have likes to have seen those items. I remember when I was a kid the Golden Hawks went right over our village low enough to count the rivets. Cheers Brian
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:36 pm

Goldenhawk wrote:
    qsamike wrote:It is to bad that you did not join about 8 months ago.....   Did an estate evaluation for sale of an original member and at one time CO of the Goldenhawks......   Boxes full of programs, photos, patches, trophies, uniforms, books and the best was a model of a GH Saber with a wingspan of 7 feet that showed up in the Stampede Parade occasionally and a lot lot more......  The family kept One Uniform, One Flight Suit and his medals.......  

Mike

Mike,

Yes, I certainly do wish that I had joined and gotten to know you back then. Sounds like a great grouping of GH items. As you can see by my username and avatar, the "Hawks" are one of my favourite subjects. I remember seeing them back in 1962 and '63 at airshows at RCAF Stn Borden...those golden jets against an azure blue sky...wow!

Are there any of those items that you evaluated still around for sale? May I ask who it was; W/C Easton, Allen or Hatton?

Thanks,
    Darryl

Hi Darryl.....

If this old memory serves me right the name was Allen...... A lot of or most of the items were donated to the R.C.A.F. section of the Military Museum here in Calgary......

Mike
    Goldenhawk
    Goldenhawk

Post by Goldenhawk Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:48 pm

Mike,

Thanks for the information. Glad to hear that the items went to a Museum for all to see.

Cheers
    CTM
    CTM

Post by CTM Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:19 pm

That is a great picture of the 440 bat pilot with the patch I have the same one on a jacket with a whole bunch more
    Goldenhawk
    Goldenhawk

Post by Goldenhawk Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:39 pm

CTM,

I would love to see the jacket and the "more" you have.

Cheers,
    CTM
    CTM

RCAF Squadron patches Empty Jacket

Post by CTM Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:15 pm

Goldenhawk wrote:CTM,

I would love to see the jacket and the "more" you have.

Cheers,

Would love to but I don't have them uploaded to some website and by looks of it that's the only way to post them sorry would love to show them off for everyone to see
    CTM
    CTM

RCAF Squadron patches Empty Jacket pictures

Post by CTM Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:23 pm

RCAF Squadron patches Image18
    RCAF Squadron patches Image20
    RCAF Squadron patches Image19
    RCAF Squadron patches Image21
    Goldenhawk
    Goldenhawk

Post by Goldenhawk Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:32 pm

CTM,

Very nice jacket. Love all the 3 Wing related patches along with the three squadrons on base at the time; 440 on CF-100 Canucks and 427 and 434 on F-86 Sabres.

I also see patches relating to Metz and Trenton. I assume this was yours and you wore it during the time you were in Zweibrucken?

Cheers,
    Darryl
    CTM
    CTM

RCAF Squadron patches Empty Jacket

Post by CTM Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:50 pm

Goldenhawk wrote:CTM,

Very nice jacket. Love all the 3 Wing related patches along with the three squadrons on base at the time; 440 on CF-100 Canucks and 427 and 434 on F-86 Sabres.

I also see patches relating to Metz and Trenton. I assume this was yours and you wore it during the time you were in Zweibrucken?

Cheers,
    Darryl

Actually no I lived near Zweibruecken as a kid when I saw the jacket at a surplus store with the hand embroidered back of the map of Germany I had to have it also received a 427 squadron plaque and a 427 history book as part of the package been doing some reaserch on the patches and pins on the plaque all very interesting stuff I am very lucky to have scored the jacket took a year and a half before the guy would sell it .
    Right time right place I guess and some luck!
    RCAF Squadron patches Image25
    RCAF Squadron patches Image24
    Goldenhawk
    Goldenhawk

Post by Goldenhawk Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:42 am

CTM,

Thanks for your reply and showing the other two 427 Sqn items. I was at 4 Wing from 1964 to '68 as a kid. When were you at 3 Wing?
    CTM
    CTM

Post by CTM Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:41 am

I was living in Germany with my parents not military related, so you were there when Ron McLean father was stationed in Metz. Ron was born in Zweibruecken something I came across in my reaserch

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:27 pm