Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

British short pick axe

37patt
    37patt

British short pick axe Empty British short pick axe

Post by 37patt Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:06 am

I recently picked up one of the British short picks - total length is only 12 inches - that looks to be made by Gilpy (I think) in 1943. It has a square head portion where the shaft goes through with a small hole on each end of the head - probably for a pair of retaining screws.
    The shaft for it is 24 inches long and painted green. There is a small hole drilled through the side of the shaft at the business end and there is no evidence of it ever having had the two small screws put in. Unlike the shaft shown in Gordons book there is no pry bar attachment on the end of the shaft.

It came in one of the carriers for the US M1910 pick which of course is incorrect as the US pick has a very different shape to it, although it does fit fairly well.

Sorry about the lack of pictures but it's too frustrating for me.

So far I've only found one reference to it, in Gordons book 'Equipment of the WWII Tommy', and there he just references it as a small pick/mattock and pry bar.

My questions would be - who used them and what kind of carrier did it have (if one at all)?

Thanks for any help guys
    Eric
    37patt
    37patt

British short pick axe Empty Re: British short pick axe

Post by 37patt Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:20 pm

No ideas guys?

Some one must have one or know about them - I'm hoping.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm