Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy

Didier
    Didier

Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy Empty Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy

Post by Didier Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:57 am

Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy F2838a11
    Regina Rifles on D-Day?
    Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy Unname10
    Royal Winnipeg Rifles on D-Day?
    Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy R12
    Highland Light Infantry

The reason why I am asking the question is because I am a bit confused as to the type of helmet worn by Canadian troops on 6 June 1944 and later during the battle of Normandy.

As far as I could judge by the photos I could find here and there, Mk III helmets were the rule within the Régiment de la Chaudière, the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, Highland Light Infantry and the North Shore Regiment.

Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy Mrfir510
    Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy Canada10
    Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy Nsnbr_10

Things look a bit more complicated with the Regina Rifle Regiment, where I could spot an apparent mix of Mk II and Mk III helmets.

Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy 15077f10
    Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy 32247210
    Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy 72622510
    Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy R11

Canadian troops landing after the assault and beach groups personnel seem to have worn Mk II helmets, though.

Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy 858c8e10
    Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy Wounde10

Does anybody on here have a clear view on the subject?

Last edited by Didier on Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    Wouter
    Wouter

Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy Empty Re: Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy

Post by Wouter Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:05 am

Would there be a difference between first wave troops and follow-on forces? I know C Coy of the Canadian Scottish, which went in with the Winnipeg Rifles, were issued Mk III helmets.
    Didier
    Didier

Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy Empty Re: Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy

Post by Didier Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:33 am

Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy Img_2040

That would be a logical explanation. I have just found a picture of two North Shore personnel during the battle of Normandy: one is wearing a Mk III helmet and is termed a "veteran" by the caption while the other, who is wearing a Mk II helmet, is said to be a later reinforcement (also worthy of note is the fact that he is wearing ammo boots together with gaiters).

Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy 1e795510

Privates W.J Lutz, J.D Hines (with his guitar) and R. Lecoeyer (all three with P37 ankle gaiters on) on 10th July 1944.

Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy 07373f10

Private Norman Milton and corporal Frank Maxwell on 19th July 1944

Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy E521fc10

Lance Sergeant (then a private) Earl Henry McAllister (1923-1944), Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada.

Question about helmets worn on D-Day and later during the battle of Normandy Ec675b10

North Nova Scotia Highlanders, 18th July 1944.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 pm