Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

Shortened Second Pattern P1848 Brunswick Sword Bayonet (Early Canadian Militia)

ColonelKlink1942
    ColonelKlink1942

Shortened Second Pattern P1848 Brunswick Sword Bayonet (Early Canadian Militia) Empty Shortened Second Pattern P1848 Brunswick Sword Bayonet (Early Canadian Militia)

Post by ColonelKlink1942 Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:11 am

Hey gang,

Here is a bayonet that I picked up in November of 2023. This is a sword bayonet used with the Brunswick rifle. It is, however, a Second Pattern and not a First Pattern (I now have both in my collection). This bayonet is also a shortened variant unlike its full-length siblings, I have attached a photo of this Second Pattern beside my full-length First Pattern to show the difference. There are several possibilities as to why a sword bayonet such as this would be shortened (field modifications by a regimental armourer, needing to be shortened before being issued elsewhere to continue their service, possible police, constabulary, or drilling and training purposes, and so on).

Compared to the First Pattern P1837 Brunswick bayonet, it is essentially identical except for the steel press button. The First Pattern's button was considerably taller and stuck straight out, which often led to it getting caught on garments and kit or foliage and brush, and so on, and eventually getting damaged and torn off as a result. The Second Pattern's press button was designed to be more flush to the hilt, which was an improvement for sure.

The markings on this bayonet consist of the Enfield inspection stamp, as well as the Victoria Regina (VR) stamp on the Ricasso. On the hilt is another Tower of London inspector stamp of sorts, "crown over 17", and on the cross guard are "H28" and "RCR". These markings show that this bayonet was issued to the 28th rifle of "H" Company (or "eighth company") of the Royal Canadian Rifle Regiment, which was raised in 1840 and consisted of veterans and serving members of other British regiments at the time, and these bayonets and their respective rifles were issued to the regiment in the earlier years of its existence.

Overall, a very beautiful bayonet, and I'm glad to have it in my collection! Photos below:

Shortened Second Pattern P1848 Brunswick Sword Bayonet (Early Canadian Militia) 20231117_185829

Shortened Second Pattern P1848 Brunswick Sword Bayonet (Early Canadian Militia) 20231117_185838

Shortened Second Pattern P1848 Brunswick Sword Bayonet (Early Canadian Militia) 20231117_151329

Shortened Second Pattern P1848 Brunswick Sword Bayonet (Early Canadian Militia) 20231117_151347

Shortened Second Pattern P1848 Brunswick Sword Bayonet (Early Canadian Militia) 20231117_151344

Shortened Second Pattern P1848 Brunswick Sword Bayonet (Early Canadian Militia) 20231117_151338

Shortened Second Pattern P1848 Brunswick Sword Bayonet (Early Canadian Militia) Photo-grid-1-1-jpg

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:12 pm