Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Saskatoon Light Infantry Lanyards

Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Saskatoon Light Infantry Lanyards Empty Saskatoon Light Infantry Lanyards

Post by Battalion Colours Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:07 am

WW II Saskatoon Light Infantry Lanyards:

"Green lanyards were worn. Officers and senior NCO's wore a double lanyard, described by the Saskatchewan Military Museum as worn "around the neck (having) three sliders and split to go into each pocket - - a sort of hangman's noose." Single rope lanyards were worn by junior NCO's and ORs."

Does anyone have a wartime photograph showing a SLI lanyard? Does anyone have an original SLI uniform with the lanyard still on it? If yes, could you please post a photograph of it. Thank you.
    GCR817
    GCR817

Saskatoon Light Infantry Lanyards Empty Re: Saskatoon Light Infantry Lanyards

Post by GCR817 Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Hi Adam,

The lanyard in question is a dark green in colour. I don't have one in my collection but have seen them on original tunics. I think I have a photo kicking around of officers wearing them. I'll dig it out and post pics.

Cheers,

Geoff

PS: Typically they kept a "church key" (beer bottle opener) on one end of the lanyard (this direct from Vets at an SLI reunion a few years back).
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:08 pm

Not the best photos, but this a group shop of Bn officers (and blow ups). The lanyard was worn on the Battle Dress as well.

Geoff

Saskatoon Light Infantry Lanyards 00110
    Saskatoon Light Infantry Lanyards 00210
    Saskatoon Light Infantry Lanyards 00310
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:29 am

Great photograph Geoff, thanks for posting it. Numerous Canadian units wore lanyards during WW II, but the Saskatoon Light Infantry is the only one I know of where the officers and NCOs wore a double lanyard in this fashion. Were you able to find out why from any of the veterans Geoff?
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:19 pm

I believe the double lanyard is a tradition "borrowed" from the KOYLI's which is the Imperial sister regt of the SLI (MG)

Here is a picture of the lanyard being worn with Battle Dress.
    Saskatoon Light Infantry Lanyards Img13910
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Geoff, Is there a date on that photo? Just about everyone in it has a substantial ribbon bar, which would suggest late or post Second World War. But, OR's are wearing their bd with the collar closed. Formation patches are visible on several of the individuals. Note some of the nco's are wearing the coloured rank, respective of their alliance with the KOYLI.
    Great photo.
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi Adam,

I believe that photo was 1945 but will check. I scanned it from their regimental history which was published right after the war. Within the book, there are photos from 1939 and also 1945 in which they are wearing the lanyards.

Cheers,

Geoff
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:28 pm

Adam???
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:29 pm

Bill wrote:Adam???

Sorry Bill,

Adam started the post and I thought he had typed the reply.

All the best,

Geoff
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Saskatoon Light Infantry Lanyards Img13910

Another great photograph Geoff. I can't speak for all Canadian units, but some were definitely wearing lanyards as early as 1939. Many collectors don't realize the importance of a good reference library and units histories are filled with great photographs which many never take the time to really look at.

Geoff, when time permits how about information on lanyards worn by other Saskatchewan Regiments. Anything on the purple and gold lanyard worn by the South Saskatchewan Regiment?
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi Adam,

I'll dig into their Regt history and see what I can find. The 16/22nd Sask Horse also wore a coloured lanyard (yellow and blue).

Geoff
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi Geoff, While you are looking into the South Sask, I have been researching the colours used for shoulder titles, and I have drawn a blank on their colours. Do you know what the colours of the South Sask shoulder titles represent? And, why were they selected? Almost all of the other regiments of 2 CID used a blue background. (Black Watch, RHLI, QOCHC, RR of C, Essex Scottish, and R de Mais) while the South Sask used the pink. (The FMR were on a red background, the only other exception in 2 CID.)
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry but I have no idea why they selected thoses colours. I've read their Regimental History and there isn't any mention of it in there either.

Geoff
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:44 am

Thanks Geoff. I had gone through the history, contacted the regimental association, a few collectors, and a couple of museums with the same answer. The only hint I had was that it was the colour of the prairie lily, the provincial flower of Saskatchewan, but no confirmation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:46 pm