Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils"

birkie
    birkie

Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Empty Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils"

Post by birkie Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:59 am

I'm trying to find an example of a Royal Winnipeg Rifles pre-WW1 tunic, 1900 - 1910 era, but can't seem to find a single photo or representation. I believe they are dark royal green, with red piping and black "little black devil" collar insignia.

If anyone has a picture to share it would be much appreciated.

thank you
    birkie
    birkie

Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Empty Royal Winnipeg Rifles Tunic and Breeches

Post by birkie Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:03 am

I recently acquired this complete, circa 1910, Royal Winnipeg Rifles, "Little Black Devils" tunic, complete with belt and trousers.  Canadian militaria is a bit of a departure for me but I find this piece intriguing since I was born and raised in Winnipeg and am quite interested in this connection to local history.

Markings show a faded stamp ......Workman Co. Mfr's, 1910, Montreal, Quebec on the breeches along with the soldier's name CH Hall and a unit # 211 perhaps. This should make for a great research project.

The inside leather collar tab on the tunic shows W.E. Sanford Mfg, Hamilton Ontario, 1910-1911.  Other markings are clearly shown on the inside of the tunic.

The photos unfortunately don't bring out the green colour, but in hand they are deep green and in battle were in fact mistaken for black (little black devils).

Looking forward to your comments and feedback.

Cheers
    Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Dsc_0031
    Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Dsc_0032
    Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Dsc_0033
    Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Dsc_0034
    Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Dsc_0036
    Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Dsc_0035
    Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Dsc_0037
    Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Dsc_0038
    Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Dsc_0039
    Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Dsc_0040
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Empty Re: Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils"

Post by servicepub Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Nice acquisiton.

Clive
    Red Badge
    Red Badge

Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils" Empty Re: Royal Winnipeg Rifles "little black devils"

Post by Red Badge Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:07 pm

This is really great! What a find! I have an early 1800's 2band sword bayonet that is marked to the 90th Winnipeg rifles. How splendid it would be to have a uniform to go with it.. Wink
    birkie
    birkie

Post by birkie Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Red Badge wrote:This is really great! What a find! I have an early 1800's 2band sword bayonet that is marked to the 90th Winnipeg rifles. How splendid it would be to have a uniform to go with it.. Wink 

Thanks for your comments. It is unique piece of history but a little out of my area of expertise. It was recently pointed out to me that the chrome or nickel plated hook on the belt is likely a 1950's british police force issue. Also, the collar tabs are not identical, I believe the left tab is the original. I have donated the whole ensemble set to a Canadian military museum. A much more appropriate venue that hanging in my den. Cheers.
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:00 am

birkie wrote:
    Red Badge wrote:This is really great! What a find! I have an early 1800's 2band sword bayonet that is marked to the 90th Winnipeg rifles. How splendid it would be to have a uniform to go with it.. Wink 

Thanks for your comments.  It is unique piece of history but a little out of my area of expertise.  It was recently pointed out to me that the chrome or nickel plated hook on the belt is likely a 1950's british police force issue. Also, the collar tabs are not identical, I believe the left tab is the original.  I have donated the whole ensemble set to a Canadian military museum. A much more appropriate venue that hanging in my den. Cheers.

I would like to get some quality photos of this for possible use in a book. Can you PM me with the name of the museum please?
    Clive

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58 am