Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Hep Needed With Photograph Identification

Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Hep Needed With Photograph Identification Empty Hep Needed With Photograph Identification

Post by Battalion Colours Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:05 pm

Hep Needed With Photograph Identification Boerwar

The above studio portrait was taken in Halifax. Can anyone identify the time period? Is he Militia, NWMP or Canadian Army?
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Hep Needed With Photograph Identification Empty Re: Hep Needed With Photograph Identification

Post by Battalion Colours Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:48 pm

After looking at some photographs on the Victorian Wars Forum, I believe this is a Boer War photograph.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Hep Needed With Photograph Identification Empty Re: Hep Needed With Photograph Identification

Post by mk1rceme Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:38 pm

Neat pic! I would have guessed NWMP.

Bill

Post by Bill Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:06 am

Hi Adam, The image being taken in Halifax suggests an embarkation photo? The uniform, with the stetson and the pattern of bandolier is consistent with a Boer War Canadian Mounted Rifles trooper. The rifle appears to be a Lee-Enfield Mark 1, which was acquired by the Canadian government in the late 1890's. And, the bayonet frog looks like an Oliver pattern 1899.
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:50 am

I agree. I would bet he is a member of the CMR about to embark to South Africa. The uniform and equipment sure fits.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:51 pm